Exercise Your “Right to Pursue Happiness” – Learn How to Square Dance
If you are looking for something to do as a couple (or an unattached single) in order to re-ignite your social life, consider Square Dancing. It will revitalize your Pursuit of Happiness and put Fun back in your step! Today’s square dancing is much different than what you may have experienced in grammar school or in a high school physical education class.
Square dance music covers all genres (pop, classical, rock-n-roll, even rap) in addition to “country” these days.
Western attire is an option, not a requirement. Casual attire when taking lessons, and attending dances, is entirely acceptable.
Square dancing focuses on FUN, not artistry!
If you have never tried square dancing because you think you have “two left feet”, don’t worry. Fancy footwork is not required! Being superbly graceful, while admirable, is not a high priority either.
You will quickly discover that square dancing is:
- Fun…lots of smiles and laughter.
- Healthy…both physically and mentally.
- Friendly…people of all ages participate.
- Easy on the pocket-book (less expensive than “movie night”).
We could go on, but you get the idea.
Information about LESSONS:
Here’s a poster for the upcoming lessons starting in September 2022. Detailed date, time & location information is listed below the poster.
Lessons (times and addresses) are listed below:
More Information about lessons.
- The full lesson-set consists of 16 “lessons”: 12 to teach the “fundamentals”, followed by 4 more to enable new dancers to competently dance just about anywhere in Washington state (or anywhere in the country, for that matter). Realistically, new dancers should expect to complete the full program in 18-20 weeks.
- Several Rainier Council clubs are collaborating and coordinating efforts to offer lessons at three different Pierce County locations on four different evenings during the week in order to provide student dancers with the flexibility to “mix and match” as best fits their schedule*.
- *Weekly attendance is critical to success. Make a commitment early to not “miss” a lesson (arrange to attend one of the other classes if missing a lesson is unavoidable).
- Enrollment for new students is allowed during the 1st and 2nd weeks only!
- Each lesson-session will last 1 1/2 to 2 hours with a “live” professional caller/instructor.
- Casual attire (wear comfortable shoes)
- Students are not required to join any club before, during or after taking lessons.
- The cost per session is only $5 per person.
Square Dancing has been Washington State’s Official Dance for decades. You will actually be dancing in the first 30 minutes of Lesson #1. Rainier Council is one of 11 councils in the Square and Folk Dance Federation of Washington.
Lessons are usually offered twice each year, typically starting in late September and again in mid-to-late January.